Monday, November 06, 2006

ChasWolf
Well - one of my kids made it for a visit before Grandpa left us. Neither of my kids were especially close to my Dad - he lived far away all of their lives before moving in with us about a year ago.

My daughter came to the hospital to say her goodbyes, but Papa was really under pain meds and not able to talk. It was a total blessing for me though, because we had the chance to talk for hours. I love both of my kids, and always enjoy spending time with them, but this was very special.

And I had been by my dad's side for the past few days watching and waiting, with very little contact with other humans. Even the nursing staff didn't come in very often because Dad was on simple 'comfort care' and there simply was nothing to do unless I noted something needed attention.

So we talked. And talked. And it was most pleasant. Fun, sad, we ran the gamut of emotions and topics. It reminded me that our most valuable possessions are not things - our most valuable possessions are the people in our lives. Dad had a handle on that: as the past few years went by he had to get rid of things as they downsized their house, then eventually moved in with us. And just before he passed on - this would be last Wednesday - he had one concern: my Mom.

Once I assured him that I would take care of Mom, and that he really had nothing left to concern himself with, he relaxed and let go. Friday morning he breathed his last breath here, and looked into the eyes of Jesus.

I just wanted to update that point - I'm not the least concerned about who was there or not there. Remember this man for what he was and did, and who was important to him. He taught me to give. No, he was not free with his money. In fact just the opposite. But he was free with whatever else he had: time, hard work, talents, love, care, concern, and things like that. He worked hard for the church he attended, building things, from cabinets to room additions. He played in the worship band until just before he moved down here. He played piano many years before that. He helped us build and rebuild our house - in fact every house we have owned has had a large infusion of his hard work.

Every car I ever owned up till I move to Southern California had his touch on it somehow - at the very least he would help me tow them home when they broke down, let me store it in his garage, let me work on it there, provide tools and know-how, or in some way be a part of keeping me moving.

He loved boats - his boat still sits in my warehouse. We will try to take it out skiing this Friday, weather and schedule permitting. One of the very last days we spent together - and my fondest memory at the moment - is of the two of us putting the boat in the water at Lake Casitas and just driving around for a couple of hours. The whole thing - from hitching the boat up to launching it, to driving it around the marina and then the lake, to pulling it out and cleaning it up, to putting it back in the warehouse were all fun as we recalled doing similar things throughout our lives together.

More when I can - but thanks for stopping by. My Dad was truly a blessing to me and many others, and I am proud to have known him.

2 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Chas said...

Chas-
I love you! Your parents have been blessed by a wonderful, gracious son, I know because God has allowed me to be a part of your life for the past 26 years. (WOW)

I can't tell you how much you have spoken to me this past week just through your actions. I am so sorry that you are having to go through this! I am amazed at your heart and love for others. Watching you spend hours/days beside your Dad, coming home to take care of your Mom... I know that you are stretched beyond what any normal human being could handle... but you are relying on God and that is a great example to me.

God has and is walking us through some difficult times... I wish I knew what to say and how to say things to you at this time.

I love you!
Hope

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Chas said...

the comment above was posted by my loving wife. wow. Thanks babe.

I'm glad you are around to help - not just now, but all the time.

Chas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home